22 May 2010

No 38 - Australia Day, my final full day in Oz –Brisbane - 26th January 2010

Out of my whole trip, Brisbane was the place where I had more bad luck then the rest of the trip put together! The chain of misfortune started with my Spider bite getting infected then I broke my compact camera due to if falling off the back of my bike on the way to Brisbane's main station, once at the station I got stuck in a lift only briefly but enough to miss a Train, and by the time the next train was due, bikes weren’t allowed on them due to it being rush hour so I abandoned my plans for that day. The following day when I did get a train, due to the confusing 15 zone Brisbane train system didn’t have the correct ticket and just avoided a $200 fine.

Then my luggage which I’d sent to Brisbane from Perth had gone missing, I got messed around trying to sell my bike, the final insult being Cash converters offering me $100 to which I replied I would rather chuck it in the Brisbane river than accept that for it!

And to top it all my rooms air conditional started playing up when it was 34 degrees and high humidity, So as you may imagine after that chain of luck I was pretty keen to get out of Brisbane and move onto New Zealand, however my last full day there and indeed last in Australia was a special one, and just makes it into my top 40.

It was the national day of Australia, Australia Day!

The day started with a Royal Australian Air Force Jet making a low flypast and from my hostels fantastic rooftop deck I had a prime view!

Then I went down to the riverfront and City beach where most of the celebrations would take place, they had entertainment including some prety bad live music, but the headliner of the day was the fireworks which diden't disapoint, the Aussies certainly know how to put on a fireworks display, enjoy these pics of it!













Headed back to the hostel and the rooftop terrace for a while taking in the Stunning views of Brisbane by night Before going out for a final few pints in oz! Finishing my last ozzy pint it was almost a relief as I wouldn’t have to pay as much as £5 a pint again for a while! I could certainly feel my wallet jumping up and down in my pocket in celebration!

No comments:

Post a Comment